Sunday, March 8, 2009

Book Review -- The Creative Family


If you read just one book this year, make it The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule. This one has been out for about a year, but I am just now discovering it because I live under a rock. I happened to notice many of you who follow Frugal Family Fun Blog also follow Amanda's blog (Soule Mama), and that is what led me to her book. Just how good is this book? Good enough to make even the biggest tightwad like myself want to go out and buy it. And I will. That is, if no one buys it for me first (hint, hint, Mark). 

Let me preface this book review by explaining that I rarely purchase new books. After all, why buy new books, when there are so many alternatives. Although Amazon sells The Creative Family for the BARGAIN price of just $10.17 and it is eligible for FREE shipping on purchases of $25 or more, I still wanted to check it out first. Like a true frugal zealot, I went to my local library to borrow The Creative Family. I was disappointed to find out that it was not in the library's catalog, but I requested an inter-library loan figuring the book would be in my hands in about a week or so. Then I found out that there were no libraries in the area that have The Creative Family. How could they not have it??? So I put in a purchase request, and waited. And waited. And waited some more. 

Finally, after over a month of waiting and much anticipation, the book came in and was ready for me to pick up. Oh, happy day! I went home that night, and after tucking the girls in bed, went off to enjoy this tasty book.

Let me tell you -- I could not put this one down. I read The Creative Family from cover to cover, devouring all of its beautiful contents, original ideas, and delicious photographs. I stayed up all night reading it and finished the entire book in one sitting. Beautiful. Inspiring. Fabulous. With the added benefit of being quite frugal! 

5 comments:

I wanna be creative said...

Love love love this book. Weird and sad that you had to wait a month to finally get your hands on the book - that is usually me, but this I managed to easily get it from our local library (here in New Zealand!). But have book marked so many pages that I will have to order on Amazon!

MaryAnne said...

Just put in a hold request for this from my library - may take a while since there seems to be a waiting list, but I'm looking forward to reading it!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

This book is one of my favorites, too!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

@ I wanna be creative -- I am so jealous for two reasons 1. you found this book so easily and 2. you live in new zealand... how awesome!

@ MaryAnne -- I'm not surprised about the waiting list, but you know what they say... the good things come to those who wait. This one is well worth it!

@ Sonya -- You have good taste in books! :-)

Val in the Rose Garden said...

LOVE this book! It is one I bought after I got it from the library twice. I can't wait for her new one 'Handmade Home'. :) It's coming. :)

Val

Related Posts with Thumbnails