Mark and I are very methodical about large purchases. We plan ahead, research the latest reviews, and patiently wait for things to go on sale. Here are some of the things we have found to be the BEST buys for the money (i.e. big purchases that are really worth it):
1. Digital Camera -- We use the Nikon D40, and purchased an open box model from Amazon's Warehousedeals.com. I use it every day, and with small kids, I love how it takes photos instantly. It is an entry-level SLR camera, which makes it very easy to use. Since it was over $25, we got free shipping!
2. Vacuum -- Our household has two cats. These two cats shed. A lot. When we finally saw a Dyson D14 listed on woot.com, we scooped it up. This had been on our wish list for a long time, and our only regret is that we did not get one sooner. It is an engineering marvel. On woot.com, every purchase has just $5 shipping!
3. Bread Machine -- This was one of those things I thought I would never use, but the cost of bread kept going up and up and I noticed that many of the store-bought breads contained high fructose corn syrup. I had a few gift cards for Macy's and ended up putting them together toward the Cuisinart model. Now we use it all the time for pizza dough, breads, and even soft pretzels. Yum! I just load in the ingredients, select the cycle, and push "start". It does all the work! Plus, I love how the house smells when I am baking bread.
4. High Speed Internet -- This allows Mark to occasionally work from home. When he works from home, we save money on gas and car maintenance. We also get to enjoy lunch together as a family. Priceless.
5. Apple Computer -- I know these seem terribly expensive, but Apple computers are amazingly well-designed. They think of everything. They are easy to use, and virtually virus free. The iLife suite makes it simple to create fabulous videos, photo albums, web pages, music, and so much more.
What big purchases were you most happy with? I would love to hear about it! Leave a comment and share your stories with us!