Here are some great ways to travel without breaking the bank.
- When to Book -- The best time to book your airfare is Wednesday from midnight to 1a.m. in the time zone of the airline's headquarters. For example, United is headquartered in Chicago, and Delta is headquartered in Atlanta. This happens to be the time when the computer systems of most airlines purge the records of the reserved but unbooked lower fare reservations. Take advantage of these low rates immediately after this occurs and you will save big bucks.
- When to Travel -- Traveling during the off-peak season can have many perks. Not only do off-peak seasons offer considerably cheaper hotel stays, they also offer fewer crowds, less traffic, and shorter lines.
- Coupons -- Consider purchasing an Entertainment coupon book for the city you will be visiting. These books are usually around $25, and can save you a considerable ammount of money on hotels, car rentals, restaurants, shopping and more. The Entertainment Book is also a great resource for ideas of things to do, and places to go.
- Vacation with Friends -- One of the most memorable vacation experiences can be those shared with other family or friends. Split the bill for a large beach house, or a cabin in the woods. If there is a kitchen available, and you cook your own food, you will save even more money.
- Food & Dining -- Again, the Entertainment Book can be a great resource for dining or eating out. All-you-can-eat buffets usually offer great deals. Also, filling up with a big brunch, skipping lunch, and going someplace nice for an early dinner can save you money while traveling. Find out if any restaurants near your destination offer an early-bird dinner special.